Thursday, June 16, 2011

NEUTRAL NUANCE

Some months ago I mentioned that I wanted to spiff up our house just a bit, but over the years, I'd become much less daring and seemed paralyzed with fear at painting over our Sun City Grand beige.  So, yesterday morning, emboldened by just having attended a funeral with its reminders that time is indeed fleeting, drove from the church to Sherwin-Williams.  I'd been reading about new services S-W was offering that had sounded perfect and I wanted to check them out.

The salesperson led me to their new line of paint--The HGTV Color Collection--with which (according to the newspaper) a color-challenged person could mix and match paints within a palette to her heart's content and the end result would be really good.  I mentioned the article and the mixing/matching part, at which point the sales person looked at me and said, "Well, maybe two colors..." before her words trailed off.  How could she know?  But, undeterred, I looked over the eight different palettes each with twenty colors and quickly chose my favorite. Despite her obvious doubts, I knew I could successfully mix at least three of these colors plus a nice cream for the woodwork.  I was excited, I was daring, I was getting my moxie back!  Then out of  the eight palettes I learned I had chosen  Neutral Nuance.  Neutral Nuance!?!  I passed up Coastal Cool...Color Pizazz...Urban Organic for Neutral Nuance?!?  I had no idea it had gone so far...

I quietly left the store with my ten sample colors, promising to return soon, and slowly drove home thinking about the strange places life leads us.  I laid out my ten sample colors and I looked at my ten sample colors...   


Finally, I turned over my ten sample colors to read about them.  For example:  On the lower right (Kaffee) which HGTV kindly translates for people like me as BROWN, can be "incredibly rich and complex" and "imparts a sense of cultivated refinement."  I might like that to be me, but I don't think that's me.

Then there's Baguette which translates as GOLD.  "bold...subtle charm...understated glam."  Unfortunately, I haven't been "bold" for years although I think I have "understated" down pretty well.

Third from left at the top (Blonde) which translates as YELLOW--kind of like a bad dye job--had a certain appeal.  But too soon,  as a resident of an "active adult" community, I realize why I'm drawn to it.    YELLOW "stimulates recall" and God knows, we're all about stimulating recall here.  Actually, we'd like to stimulate a lot of things but it's just too late for some of it.

OK--enough!  I trashed  Neutral Nuance and I'll be going back to Sherwin-Williams tomorrow morning to pick up Urban Organic!  And--watch out little sales person because I just might mix/match and do other things with all twenty of those Urban Organic colors!  Be careful and get out of the way!! 

2 comments:

Mickie said...

Well that just made me LOL! You march your self back there and go crazy with those Urban Organics (or whatever...) I know you can do it! It really is just paint.

Anonymous said...

Do I need to remind you of mikes crazy paint colors we had in NJ the Harley orange or spongebob blue? Want me to send him over to help you pick out your colors?