Thursday, January 31, 2013

DAY TEN--BAR HARBOR, MAINE

I would be the first to admit that I grew up with delusions of grandeur accompanied by plans to rise above my station (pinned on my intention of marrying Teddy Kennedy...yes, Jack and Bobby's younger brother).  However, one dark and stormy Saturday afternoon toward the end of my senior year in high school I happened upon a "Town and Country" magazine which I eagerly opened.  There, in the section on weddings was my Teddy, accompanied by a gorgeous blonde wearing a wedding dress at their wedding reception.  I hadn't even known he was dating Joan, much less marrying her.  And, doing it all before I'd  had a chance to get to Massachusetts and introduce myself.  I was devastated.  My life--as I had envisioned it--was over, before I'd even reached legal drinking age.

Fifty years later, as we were choosing a cruise, I noted that this particular offering from Holland America included a day in Bar Harbor--favorite of the filthy rich and semi-famous.  This port played an immense role in my final decision on choice of cruises.  Since I hadn't been able to live the life that I, obviously, had not so carefully planned, I would stop in Bar Harbor, observe, take notes, and attempt a small-scale re-creation in SCG.

Our morning dawned (barely) under heavy fog, sporadic rain and gusty, cold winds.  However, the captain assured us that skies would clear by afternoon and all would be well.

We boarded our tender and bounced across the harbor, catching sight of this beauty along the way.  This is, perhaps, a bit too grand even for Sun City Grand, and would break every rule in our rather detailed CC&R book.  But, I'm strongly attracted to this home on the shore.

Wait!  This one is much closer to town and should also be large enough for all of the children, in-laws, and grandchildren that BC and I have accumulated together.  It also includes a "widow's walk" on the roof from which we could wave as said children, etc... sail in and out of the harbor in our newly acquired four-masted lovely...

Oops...I'm regressing.  This would never work in SCG and would be the devil to haul to Lake Powell, Lake Mead, or Lake Havasu.

The same could be said for this powerful and expensive yacht, but isn't she a beauty.  Whereas, I would be happy with a comfortable deck chair and a small pitcher of mimosas on the top deck, BC would be hanging off the back, fishing pole in hand.

Bar Harbor is the gateway to the Acadia National Park, and a drive through this park was really the main focus of our day.  The weather slowly cleared through the early afternoon, but (lovely as this was) it would have been spectacular with bright sun.

Years ago, I drove up the coast of Maine (I hate to sound a theme, but it also was in and out of heavy fog), and I remember being so impressed by the rocks juxtaposed with the waves and deciding the rocky shore of Maine was my kind of coastline.  I'm still there today.

More of the same is never really more of the same along this drive as a step to the right or left brings a whole new perspective.  We saw quite a few people hiking this trail.  Despite the sprinkles and cooler temps, they were the lucky ones.
 
     One last glimpse before we return to Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor itself is fun--definitely a touristy summer village with  souvenir and t-shirt stores vying for street frontage with restaurants and ice-cream shops.  We contributed to them all.

 This ivy-covered restaurant didn't open until dinner, but I would have waited had we not been on a schedule.

BC has a weakness for ice-cream, especially any that contain bits of peanut butter, so this is a perfect compromise for us.  I know, the two spoon thing is not hygenic at all, but it's kind of romantic!  And, note the very cool giant blue and white umbrella next to the dish.  We finally had to break down after a couple of days of rain and it seemed a perfect Bar Harbor type of 'brella.

Time is flying, and it's back to the tender which will hold 120 souls as a tender and 150 as a life-boat.  When seen from a distance, a tender really resembles a little red tin can wallowing through the waves, but it delivered us safely to the shore and back, so I have no complaints.

Perfect!  The sun has come out, the deck chairs are dry, we have exciting books to read, and will hope against hope that a steward will soon come by balancing a tray of carefully chosen drinks.  Cheers!

No comments: