Monday, August 5, 2013

FRIENDS WITH WORDS

I don't think I'm the last person to take up "Words with Friends", but I'm probably close.  I knew of the game, having been aware that Alec Baldwin was unceremoniously dumped off a flight when he refused to turn off his cell phone in the midst of a hotly contested game, thus delaying the takeoff.  Of course, likable scoundrel that he is, Alec proceeded to make a few million dollars from the whole affair without us ever knowing if he won or lost.  He probably depends a lot on strategy would be my guess.

When we were in the Midwest a few weeks ago, I weakened, my daughter loaded the program on my iPad, outlined the bare basics, and I was ready to spell.  There was a time, years ago, when I was a fairly decent Scrabble challenger.  Although, in retrospect, it was when my children were relatively small and not as attuned to Olde English words or spellings as I.  I must have been merciless in those days, going after children.  I do feel badly about that now. 

Today, I'm involved in seven games.  Two daughters, two granddaughters, one son-in-law, one daughter-in-law, and Gramie Lynn, my daughter-in-law's mom, are my opponents.  I mention Gramie by name, because if she ever turns Pro, I want you to know I knew her when.  Gramie Lynn is a formidable opponent, both in vocabulary and in strategy.  She has wiped me off the board every time we've played.  She could do it in 30 minutes or less if I were only quicker with my responses to her entries.  On this week's Leader Board (Gramie, of course being in first place), I'm coming in at 11th with 73 points.  Number 12, my son-in-law (sporting 8 points) is  lagging behind me only because he's in Singapore this week and too frugal to pop for wireless service.

But things are about to change drastically in this contest.  I have discovered www.scrabblefinder.com and I'm not ashamed to use it.  I'm not ashamed because, after two months of humiliating defeats, I want to win.  I don't have to win big...I just have to win.  And, in the process of researching on scrabblefinder.com, I'm learning all kinds of educational facts. Are you looking for a five letter word that begins with  KU?  If so, you will quickly learn that there are eleven such words, beginning with KUDOS and ending with KUSSO.  And that's just for starters.  Did you know QIS is indeed a word?  In relation to "Words With Friends" it is worth at least 12 points but can top out above 36 points if you place it in just the right place on the board.  I know that because DAbrown hit me with QIS yesterday afternoon just as I was creeping up on her score ever so slightly.  She may be unreachable now.

But, with my Scrabble Finder tool, and my competitive juices flowing, I'm confident and edgy.  Feelin'  a bit like Serena Williams entering Center Court as I strut toward my iPad.  Ejb9q7--Watch out.  Looks like you're next on my list.

No comments: