Saturday, January 11, 2014

THE MEDITERRANEAN

Today, we're visiting the Mediterranean, which lies about 20 to 30 miles east of Amelie.  Yes, real people live minutes from that historic Sea and think nothing of driving a short distance to wander along its coastline.  On the way, we turn off the motorway onto the network of narrow but, oh so scenic, side roads still, occasionally, lined with Plane trees.  If your imagination is turned on, it's very much like driving into an impressionist  French landscape  We quickly arrive at Argeles sur Mer, a village located on one of the longest beaches of the Mediterranean.  Today, with tourist season winding down, that beach is nearly deserted. As we walked toward the water, we looked to our right to see the gentle mountain slopes descending into the "Med" itself.  Behind us, the colorful line of apartment buildings are being shuttered for the winter and only a few families are pushing baby carriages along the wide brick-lined walkway.  Autumn is in the air.   


The water is indeed a beautiful blue, but cold.  I'm dressed in slacks and a jacket and glad of it.  Our friend, Linda, the most adventurous of the four does not let the opportunity to wade in the Mediterranean pass her by.  Now, in retrospect, I wish I would have walked in with her.
 
Instead, I join the more sedate Denise and Gaynor on the beach drinking in the atmosphere--from a dry distance.


After lunch (the Gallettes of a previous post) we drive the short distance to Collioure where we board the "Little Tourist Train" for a sightseeing tour of the area.




Since I don't do photos well while bouncing around in a small cutesy train, my selection is limited, but here they are.
 
We quickly climbed into the vineyards, stopping near this well-preserved fortification for photo opportunities in all directions.


Since I had no sense of direction and the brochure I picked up was in French, this may be Colliure or Port Vendres.  No real matter, as they are very close together--the little train visits both--so please forgive that research lapse.  I loved them both. 
 
And here are the vineyards--in some places seeming nearly vertical.  These are the Banyuls sur Mer vineyards, known for their sweet white wine which, I must admit, is not really my favorite.  I loved the trip, however.  Plop me down in a vineyard nearly anywhere and I will be a happy girl.
 
Here is a little better look at Collioure.  It is a lovely town...one to which I would return.  Enjoy.
 
 Yes, it's the Mediterranean in the distance, shops and restaurants on the left and historic fortifications on the right.


 

 France is nothing, if not green, lush, ancient and beautiful.


 I think many of us are tourists here, although this group may be French speaking and not terribly far from home.


You know, I would bet a significant amount that these gentlemen gather here every afternoon, enjoy it immensely and wouldn't miss.  Actually, it looks a bit like Sun City Grand.  Guys (of a certain age) who want to get out of the house are the same the world over.

  
 Same could be said for these little fellows.

No comments: