Thursday, October 13, 2011

TREASURE

"Please bring something you treasure and give a brief presentation to the group about its history and why it is so special to you," read the recent e-mail announcing the monthly meeting for a women's group I belong to.  All right, I thought tentatively...so what do I treasure?  Really, really treasure.  Well, my family and friends, of course.  Never take them for granted.  Our church, education, great food (oh, who am I kidding...any food will do), travel, the Phoenix Symphony, quiet conversations.  There are so many things...

But, what do I treasure that will fit in a sack and symbolize what "treasure" really means?  The first thing to pop into my mind was TEDDY!

Please say "hello" to Teddy.

Teddy is the same age I am and, consequently, Teddy has seen better days.  His incarnation occurred in that long ago time before seat belts, car seats, and governmental restrictions on toys and their various parts.  For Teddy had real eyes at one time.  I'm not sure if they were sewn, glued or hooked on, but they were missing by the time Teddy turned three.  Now he has little brown eyes made of darning thread sewn on in the late 1940s.  Teddy had a nose of very stiff material that had been glued on.  A tiny remnant remains.  I remember a red tongue, again glued on felt fabric.  And, much to my surprise, the old pictures look as if he might have had whiskers--I think I can see a half set of whiskers when he turned three.  Teddy was also furry, but I pulled most of it off.  I'm not sure if I ate it or stuffed it up my nose, but it's been gone for years.  Teddy's obviously a survivor, and that makes Teddy a treasure.



Teddy loved birthday parties.  Teddy and I turned three on the same day.  We began Kindergarten shortly before we turned five, only Teddy wasn't allowed to go.  He had to stay at home sitting on my bed, waiting all afternoon until I could come back to tell him about my day, show him my papers, and talk about my new friends.  Teddy and I were Freshmen in High School together, but I was by myself when I walked into that huge building on the first morning, while Teddy waited at home to learn what high school was all about.  Teddy was the first to know about the cute boy in the second row, and my cheerleader tryout, and my best friend...and soak up my tears when the cute boy never noticed me and I wasn't chosen for the cheerleading squad...that year.  I thought Teddy would go to college with me, but my Mom and Dad said he couldn't.  It was time for Teddy to stay home and for me to venture out on my own.  I think Teddy even cried that night.  Teddy has a huge and non-judgmental heart and that makes Teddy a treasure. 




As soon as I graduated from college, I had an apartment of my own.  It was wonderful, even if the bathroom was across the hall and shared with the couple next door who rented only a bedroom from the homeowners.  Teddy moved in immediately and was always waiting as I shared this new life with him.  I was a first year fourth-grade teacher who learned much more than the twenty-plus kids in my room.  Teddy consoled me on bad days and rejoiced with me on good ones.  Teddy was there, ready to listen or remaining content even when I sometimes forgot him.  Teddy is a faithful and patient bear and that makes Teddy a treasure. 



Teddy has played second fiddle to two husbands and tug-of-war among four children.  He's survived seven dogs and two cats.  He's lived in Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas again, and now Arizona.  Teddy has relaxed on beds, sat in chairs, balanced on shelves, and waited months in moving boxes.  Teddy's a trooper of a bear and that makes Teddy a treasure. 

1 comment:

Kristi said...

He is your velveteen rabbit- I am sure he is real.