Thursday, August 2, 2012

ONLY THE SHADOWS KNOW

 We were thrilled recently when Granddaughter Molly texted with news she had a week long workshop in Scottsdale, and could she come early and stay with us?  "Of Course!", we texted back.  "We'd love it!"  Personally, I take it as a great compliment that a grown-up granddaughter would want to spend time with her grandparents!  Next text introduced us to Tyler, Molly's friend, whom we immediately welcomed as well.

Unfortunately, the kids walked off the plane into 118 degree heat which, obviously, limited activities during their visit.  We headed for the hills the next day with Sedona as our destination.  

On our itinerary, we stop first at Chapel of the Holy Cross, built into one of Sedona's mountains/hills.  It's a small (tiny) Catholic Chapel, designed with a glass wall behind the altar that opens to the gorgeous Sedona landscape.  Being a Catholic Church, the two walls nearest the altar are lined with votive candle stands, and we never fail to light a candle for my Mom.  We've lit candles for her coast to coast and in every foreign church we've visited.  She was a staunch Catholic who, herself, was an frequent candle-lighter for all causes large and small.  I have a great deal of respect for those who pause to pray for a moment or two, then walk forward with some amount of reverence to light a candle.  It's that kind of place.  During this visit, I continued my quest to capture an adequate photo or two of the chapel interior, and very carefully did that tippy-toes and no flash.  I knew I might have captured the moment when I looked up to see a couple, candles lit and heads bowed, silhoueted against the window.     

 But, as I lightened my photo, post-processing, I gasped.  Well, not gasp exactly, more like fell off my chair.  I have a pile of Chapel of the Holy Cross pictures, all of which are dark as the Ace of Spades.  Who knows what secrets lurk in them?  It could be a fun hunt!

On, as usual, to Tlaquepaque where Molly discovered my favorite porcine.  I had posed with him a couple of years ago.  He's great!  Molly and Tyler--Come back soon.  We have places to go, things to see, and people to meet.  Thank You for perking up our lives!

No comments: