Friday, September 6, 2013

CELEBRATING UNIQUENESS

Dear Everyone--

I believe I read somewhere that we (all of us) should embrace those things that make us unique.  I hope I read that and didn't just make it up.  In any event, I decided yesterday afternoon to celebrate my uniqueness--that of being a Late Adopter, or someone who waits until the latest technology has run its course and then buys in.  In honor of being a Late Adopter, I bought my first iPhone ever and it, of course, is a 5 which, after September 10th, will draw pitying stares from some and hoots of derision from others, but I don't care.  I'm proud of being a Late Adopter...it's who I am, and this little iPhone, one of the few left in T-Mobile's back room, needed a friend.

It just struck me this minute, that I walked directly from T-Mobile to Dillards to purchase two pair of clip earrings.  Perhaps technology is not the only thing that marks me as a Late Adopter.

Since the purchase of my sweet iPhone 5 I have learned that we worry much too much about evil strangers grabbing our IDs or Passwords and running amok in our name.  Both Apple and Google are quite vigilant regarding their own territories.  I didn't know that until yesterday when, still at T-Mobile--I tried, unsuccessfully, to sign into iCloud in order to facilitate the transfer of information or whatever reason it was that required reaching into the cloud.  Having failed that test, I turned to Google which, much to my embarrassment, reacted in exactly the same way.  I was desperately typing/back-spacing, typing/backspacing as I tried to match these arthritic fingers with the iPhone's miniscule (but cute) virtual keyboard.  Even though I had spent a portion of the morning with both of them, neither Apple nor Google would admit to ever having heard of me.

Early this morning, in a state of some frustration, I fired up my computer to check e-mails as they sure weren't on that new iPhone.  Google was first:  "We prevented a sign-in attempt in case this was a Hijacker trying to access your account."  They went on to give me a web address in order to try to resolve the issue if it was me instead of a Hijacker.  "Was it you?" they coyly asked.  Yes, damn you, it was me!

Apple was next:  "Your Apple ID was used to sign into iCloud on iPhone 5..."  Well, thank heavens for that.  I was afraid I'd gone over the edge and forgotten the very best password I'd ever come up with.  Again, they instructed, if it wasn't me, simply change my password; if it was me, go to the included web address and work through the instructions.  Despite Apple's reputation of being so "intuitive" doesn't that seem counter-intuitive?  Why am I being punished with a page of instructions? 

Suddenly, Facebook appeared: "We temporarily locked your account until you could review this recent log-in from a mobile device you have never used before."  The Facebook Security Team quite politely included a web-site to visit in order to unlock Facebook again, apparently assuming I'm really a trustworthy person.  Actually, other than the photos of family, I'm singularly unimpressed with Facebook and just may keep it locked up forever.  But, thanks anyway.

Now, as to the clip earring situation.  I've never found a pair that didn't hurt after an hour or so, but pierced ears were such a catastrophe, that's just the way it has to be.

Have a great weekend!
Margie

No comments: