Thursday, February 16, 2012

ARIZONA FLORA, Continued

There's nothing like a few hours at the Botanical Garden to regain an appreciation for the various plants that eke out their rather tentative existence in the desert southwest.

For me, this is alternately fascinating, spooky, and only too reminiscent of a photo I once saw of a snake clan totally entertwined in a winter den.  YUCK!  I would plant one in my yard, but I'm afraid each time I looked out, it would scare the bejesus out of me, so, NO!

Here's another cactus of the mamillaria family, or genus, or species, or whatever it's called.  These crack me up as my mind immediately equates mamillaria with mammary and I think I'm looking at a big pile of prickly green b.....  mammary things.  Is no one but me wondering what everyone else is thinking as they walk past this exhibit?

Now, this is cool.  This is a living saguaro with a portion of its outside skin damaged and gone, so we get a great close-up view of the inner skeleton. 

These trees run a close second to my personal favorite, the Soaptree Yucca.  However, I've rejected them for the yard because they seem just a bit stiff and conservative, with very little humor.  Kind of like Mitt Romney...nope, sorry, not a good fit.

Even though we labeled this "Arizona Flora", let's inject a bit of Arizona Fauna into the mix:
Isn't he great?  He was living at the Desert Botanical Garden until just a few weeks ago.  Artist, David Rogers built him out of reclaimed wood and other natural materials.  I would definitely like to have him in our yard but, I'm sure, our HOA would be here with a letter demanding his removal before he was fully erected.  Too Bad!

Spidey was also a real attention getter, but even I would have to draw the line at his "spidering" and "webbing" in our personal space. 

No comments: